Monday, January 09, 2006

Right Brain vs Left Brain

In my last post I mentioned the need to switch mental gears from my day job to enable me to focus on my writing. I see myself as a right brain person, while my day job requires primarily left brain applications. Below is a more detailed description of the applications and functions of both the right and left hemispheres of the brain.

Check them out and see if you are primarily a right brain or left brain person. I suspect there are those of you who are so well balanced that you do not lean heavier on one side or the other, or you function with both simultaneously. For me, I freely admit that balance in all aspects of my life is a constant struggle.


Right Brain Traits:

Intuitive: fllows hunches, or feelings, takes leaps of logic.
Nontemporal: having little or no awareness of time.
Random: arranges events and actions haphazardly.
Causal and Informal: deals with information on basis of need or interest at the time.
Concrete: relates to things as they are commonly known or understood.
Holistic: sees whole things all at one, overall patterns. Leading to divergent ideas.
Visual: uses imagery, responds to pictures, colors, shapes.
Nonverbal: responds to tones, music, body language, touch.
Visuo-spatial: uses intuition to estimate, perceives shapes.
Responsive: listens to music.
Originative: interest in ideas and theories imaginatively.
Emotional: suspicious judgment until it feels or seems right.
Learning: through exploration, creative, artistic

Left Brain Traits:

Methodical: organizes information, classifies, categorizes, structures.
Temporal: keeps track of time, thinks in terms of past, present, future.
Sequential: arranges events and actions in consecutive succession.
Linear: thinks in terms of sequence, one thought directly following another. Leads to convergent conclusions.
Factual: deals with details, items, the particulars, features of a thing.
Verbal: used words to name, describe, and define things.
Systematic and Formal: processes information methodically, in a well-planned way.
Learning: through systematic plans.

1 comment:

Kelley said...

Well I'm not sure which is more me. But I think I am probably slightly more left brained, though based on the descriptions I'm pretty balanced.